timberland fells trainer After dog dies in boarding facility
went away on a family trip this summer, she said. went to Alaska and a result of that I needed to board Dax. never came home. Nine days after Dax arrived at Wagtime Too, the plaintiff said a puppy pinned “Dax down on his back, killing him.”
The death shocked Dax’s owner. Wagtime’s website advertises dog boarding, cage free, with 24 hour supervision and separation by size and temperament.
understanding was that Dax was going to be placed in a pen with dogs his size, around his age, and that he would be supervised 24/7, the woman said.
In her lawsuit, the woman alleges Wagtime was negligent in putting a (6) month old, 18 and a half pound shelter dog in the and area with Dax, a 12 year old, four and a half pound Yorkshire Terrier.”
Lisa Schreiber and Ofer Khal own Wagtime LLC and Wagtime, too
We asked Schreiber about the allegation that there was some negligence involved.
don see how, Schreiber said.
rescue dog named Haley was a puppy and they had been together for a week, same room, no problems, no aggression,
Schreiber said. happened with Dax was a very unfortunate incident, one that nobody really could have predicted.
Neither Schreiber nor Khal disputes Dax died there, but both said a cage free environment comes with some risk.
“If a provider of a service like Wagtime makes material representations they way they did, that ‘we were going to keep light dogs together,’ that ‘we test the dogs before they come,’ that ‘we have surveillance,’ that ‘we have constant eyes on the dogs,’ then the consumer relies on that representation,” he said. “And it turns out that that representation was false, that consumer fraud.”
never told her that, nor do we have that here, Schreiber said.
Wagtime’s website advertises its “fully separate and secure small and elderly dog zone. have it at Wag one, we have a room, Schreiber said. we do not. The lawsuit also alleges Wagtime failed “to state that the facility where Dax was being boarded at (Wagtime Too) was not licensed.”
We did find a certificate of occupancy valid through 2019.
course we have a license, Schreiber said. course. to the District of Columbia Department of Health, the incident should have been reported. Jasmine Gossett, a spokeswoman for DOH, said Dax’s death was not reported.